Newry Ladies 1sts 0-2 South Antrim Ladies 1sts

On Saturday 27th October, Newry Olympic Ladies played top of the Ulster Hockey Senior 3 League team South Antrim Ladies 1ST XI at home.

South Antrim chose sides with a strong 16 woman team giving Newry's 12 woman squad the pass back. South Antrim got off to a brisk start putting Newry under pressure but the home side held firm in defence.  Newry fought back with Becky Murdock at right back slipping the ball down South’s left hand side to Rachael Greer in midfield who played a great ball across to Lynne Ervine in left wing, Ervine found herself one on one with the Keeper who was slowed to come off the line but some how Ervine missed the golden opportunity.  SA were quick to retaliate switching the ball around the back and with a roll on and roll off squad kept up the speed and pace up of the game.  South went one up when they attacked down the left and fired the ball at the Newry goal hitting the post but unfortunately for Newry the South Antrim winger reacted first to the ball and slotted the ball home.

Things began to get heated after some questionable decisions were given against the home side which seen many of their attacks stopped by the South Antrim umpire for alleged offences. Even with this Newry remained in the game at half time one goal down.

Second half started with chances on both sides but the game seemed to stop and start as things heated up with cards being dealt and players being sent off.  Things seemed to go against Newry and within ten minutes SA were given another short only to be saved by Collette Lambe just on the goal line and cleared by Taja Mc Elroy.  Soon after however South got their second after a break down the right hand side before the ball was laced across for a tap in at the back post. Around the twenty minute point Stephanie Smart was awarded a corner and Newry’s shot on goal was foiled by the SA defence.  Due to a severe injury to one of the Newry players play ceased with ten minutes to go with SA wining two nil.  Thanks to Donaghys Shoefair, Banbridge for sponsoring the match ball.

Newry 1sts 4-2 Portadown 1sts (Kirk Cup)

Newry hosted Portadown on Saturday in their first match of their Kirk Cup campaign.  The home side flew out of the traps created 2 great chances in the first 5 minutes but they could not find the back of the net. It was not long before they did however when John Taylor’s first attempt from a short corner was saved but he picked up the rebound and fired home. Newry still remained on top creating plenty of opportunities but were wasteful in front of goal.

Portadown made the home side pay as they scored from their first short corner to level the scores.

Newry continued to create and went two up again through Taylor when he battled at the edge of the circle to win the ball back before riding a few challenges and beat the keeper to the ball to tap home. Just before the break Colin McKnight made it 3 with a well worked short corner refiling home at the near post.

In the second half Portadown stepped up pressing Newry higher up the pitch but were unable to find a break through. The home side hit on the break but again they missed a number of chances to put the game to bed the best of which falling to McWilliams and McCombe. Portadown pounced on loose marking in the Newry defence to get their second and get back into the game. However Newry hit on a counter soon after with McCombe picking the ball up in the half and driving at the Portadown defence and firing low past the keeper. The game ended 4-2 and a well deserved win for Newry.

Team: R. McGivern, C Henning, S Megaw, A Baird, J Taylor, R Irwin, M Russell, C McKnight, K McWilliams, K McCombe, J Greer, P Gonzalez

Cookstown 3’s 5-3 Newry 2’s

An under strength Newry side made the trip to Cookstown in their latest league fixture. The home side made a lightening start striking the Newry crossbar within 10 seconds, Porter in nets was busy in the opening exchanges but managed to keep the home side at bay. Newry’s chances were limited to a couple of snap shots which the Cookstown keeper dealt with very well. Cookstown broke the deadlock fifteen minutes in through a penalty corner, and soon doubled the lead after some slack defending by Newry. The visitors pulled one back when Michael McCullough found Simon Mc Cafferty at the top of the circle and made no mistake with his finish. Newry got back on level terms when Stephen Graham tapped in at the back post to open his account for the season. On the half time whistle Cookstown got their noses back in front preying on a mixup in the Newry defence slipped the ball through Porters legs.

Newry drew first blood in the second half with Graham getting his second drawing them level and gave them hope that they might get something from the game. They could have took the lead but Adrian Patterson’s attempt squeezed just the wrong side of the post. As the game wore on Cookstown started to become more dominate making their larger squad pay as they got two goals late on to finish the game 5-3 winners.

Team: J Porter, J Lawson, A Marks, E Graham, S McCafferty, M McCullough, S Graham, A McMinn, J McWilliams, A Patterson, S Blakely

Pin It


Please consider supporting

Amount: require Cookies on some parts of our site to enable full functionality. By using you consent to our use of Cookies. You can use your browser settings to disable cookies on this or any other website.
More information Ok