Newry 1’s 2-2 Portadown 1’s

Newry hosted Portadown on Saturday in their second game this week which ended in a thrilling and hard fought 2-2 draw.

Newry took the lead early in the game when Greer pushed forward from defence and drove into the circle and pulled the ball back from the bye line which Alex Irwin slotted home.  Portadown stepped up a gear and started to push forward without causing Beck too many problems in the Newry goals.  It could have very easily been three nil to Newry when they had to more opportunities to increase their lead but just could not apply the final touches.  Mark McCullough came close from a Keith McWilliams cross and then McWilliams skimmed the post with a reverse stick shot with the keeper rooted to the spot.  Portadown got back on level terms when they broke through the middle of the pitch and found a spare man at the back post who easily fired his shot home.

Portadown started bright in the second half and put Newry under pressure, Beck saving well from two short corners before a mistake in defence let them take the lead.  Newry were reduced to 8 men with two quick fire yellow cards for David Hogg and Neil McKnight and a green for Robert Irwin.  The home side somehow managed to keep Portadown at bay during this period and when they were back to full strength got back on level terms with Colin McKnight firing home a ferocious low shot from a short corner. Newry finished the better of the two sides and could have nicked it at the end but again McWilliams seen his chance just slide down the wrong side of the post and Colin Hennings fierce shot from the top of the circle was saved well by the keeper.

Team: Beck, J. Greer, D. England, D. Hogg, A. Baird, N. McKnight, R. Irwin, C. Henning, C. McKnight, M. Russell, A. Irwin, M. McCullough, N. Davenport, K. McWilliams

Newry 1’s 6-1 Raphoe 1’s

Raphoe made the long trek from Donegal to Newry on Tuesday night and came away on the wrong side of a 6-1 score line. Newry were in top gear right from the start, pinning the visitors back who were unable to get out of their own half.  The pressure paid off and with only 5 minutes gone Kris Fletcher got his first of the game with a stunning reverse stick finish which rocketed into the top corner.  Within two minutes it was two nil when Fletcher turned provider and he laid the ball in to Colin McKnight who finished well from the top of the circle.  The chances were coming thick and fast for Newry and it was three when McWilliams scored with another reverse stick shot from the left hand side of the circle.

Raphoe started well in the second half and with a change in tactics, were pushing forward trying to get back into the game, and they did manage to get one back.  However it wasn’t long before Newry got another when Mathew Russell’s short corner was blocked on the line by a Raphoe defenders knee.  Colin McKnight stepped up and slotted home for his second of the game.  Mathew Russell got in on the act when he got Newry’s 5th when Fletcher played the ball to him in the middle of the circle and he fired home.  There was still time for one more when Greer got to the bye line and Fletcher finished first time with a low shot to make it 6-1.

Newry Olympic Ladies 1st XI 2 – Mossley 0

On Saturday 27th January Newry Ladies, sporting their new kits, sponsored by the Canal Court Hotel faced Mossley in the Quarter finals of the Ulster Hockey Minor Cup. Newry dominated this encounter for long periods as they bossed the possession and chances created. Mossley were stubborn in defence as Newry were kept at bay by some great defending and saves from the visiting keeper.  The home side did eventually get the break through however when they went one up with a great team goal as centre back, Gayle Davison made the switch across to Becky Murdock on the right who flicked the ball through to Captain Kathryn Baird, and with some beautiful one two's with centre mid Rachael Lockhart, the ball quickly found the Newry right wing Aimee Magowan. With the support of Suzy Rollins in the centre drawing off the Mossley defense, Aimee drove the ball right across the goal to find Shannen Robinson on the left wing who slipped the ball into the net putting Newry into the lead. Newry kept up the attack and within another ten minutes Lisa Gamble came on to left back and played the ball right up to left mid Katie McCullough who took another shot at the Mossley goal. Newry kept up the pressure winning a number of corners and felt comfortable making a number of roll on roll off substitutions to keep the pace up and the pressure on the Mossley side. At half time the score remained Newry one Mossley nil.

During the second half Newry became more confident just missing out on a number of corners but kept Mossley on their toes with constant possession of the ball. At the twenty minute point Newry had taken the ball round the back to right back Ruth Ferris who passed the ball up through the right hand side to Aimee Magowan winning another corner for Newry. Kathryn Baird injected the ball to Laverne Inns at the top of the circle who hit the ball to the left hand side of the Mossley keeper to have Kathryn finish by deflecting the ball into the goal. Newry were now in a two nil lead and retained the score until the final whistle putting them through to the semi finals of the Ulster Hockey Minor Cup. Player of the match went to Rachael Lockhart.

Team: NOHC Ladies: C Lambe, K Baird (Captain), L Simpson, G Davidson, L Gamble, C Gamble, R Ferris, B Murdock, R Lockhart, K McCullough, S Robinson, S Rollins, L Inns, A Magowan

Pin It


Please consider supporting

Amount: require Cookies on some parts of our site to enable full functionality. By using you consent to our use of Cookies. You can use your browser settings to disable cookies on this or any other website.
More information Ok