Councillors have decided to postpone the introduction of charges at Kilbroney and Slieve Gullion forest parks till 22 April, after the item was discussed at Monday night's special meeting of the Strategy, Policy and Resources Committee. Originally the scheme was to start fully from this Monday but the only part of the scheme now starting Monday will be the opportunity for residents to get a free pass to a park of their choice and current free entry into Kilbroney and Slieve Gullion will continue till 22 April. Between now and then Council will improve their communication on the matter and erect signage at the sites explaining what is happening.
The special meeting was called to discuss the latest flood relief scheme but almost half of the meeting was taken up with a late agenda item 'Forest Park Car Parking Charges' following a 'flood' of a different kind - a flood of queries and misunderstanding from the public which councillors said was caused by poor communication and the Council failing to get the message across.
Downpatrick Councillor Oonagh Hanlon proposed that charges be deferred, a proposal was seconded by Newry Cllr Aidan Mathers. Cllr Hanlon said "We just wanted to put on record and to note that the communication wasn't great last week. I think as elected members we were shocked by it coming out on Facebook because we didn't realise that it was going to be announced the way it was, and the communication in terms of letting residents understand what the actual proposal was.
"We had many, many calls over the weekend where people were misinterpreting what was going out on social media and in the print and press media as well. They weren't aware that residents could avail of the free pass to a park of their choice. And it just created so many queries that we as a party came together to discuss how it was being handled."
Cllr Hanlon added "What we would put a request in for is that there is, I suppose you could call it an amnesty, and looking at how we actually manage this being rolled out, that we give people time to actually get to the parks to get the pass of their choice and that we're not left, for example, over an Easter period whereby people are going up to the parks and they're not really sure are they paying in or are they going to be free. Really just to allow that to roll out properly, and also to answer all the queries that have been raised by residents and visitors to the district.
"We're not saying that we don't want it to roll out, we just think there needs to be a wee bit more time a wee bit better communication going forward to allow people to understand what the proposal actually is. At the end of the day, we had always said throughout the workshops, this was by creating equality across the district to make sure that one side of the district and I will refer to my own, where in Delamont, we were being charged in, and in Slieve Gullion, for example, you could get in for free. We felt and it was the agreement of the Council this gives a fair and equitable way of being able to allow residents the park of their choice because in general residents visit one park as a rule but also just to consider that equality. If we could put that forward as a proposal to maybe hold off to maybe the middle of April and just to allow it to bed in and answer any queries." she concluded.
Conor Mallon, Director of Enterprise, Regeneration and Tourism replied "we would suggest that what exists at this minute would need to continue in its current form until such times as the new date for the implementation has been reached. So therefore, charges would remain where they currently are in place. And where they are not in place they wouldn't."
Rowallane Cllr Terry Andrews had a slightly different perspective and said that when he spoke with local residents they literally 'danced with joy' on hearing that they were going to be able to get a free pass to their park as Delamont and Castlewellan are currently charging all.
Crotlieve Cllr Mickey Ruane said there had been a lot of false information going out "unfortunately, that created a narrative that I think we as a Council maybe failed in getting that message across and I agree wholeheartedly that we need to push this back until after the Easter period. It's not that far away, and we don't want to create confusion. Also, we'll have staff members that are trying to implement this and it will only create difficulties for them, if people don't understand the process in place on how to get their pass or where they get the pass etc, etc. We don't need them taking the flack on the ground."
Fellow Crotlieve Cllr Declan McAteer said that he had visited Kilbroney and was disappointed that apart from installing the collection booth at that park that nobody had thought to put up a notice explaining what was happening.
Slieve Gullion Cllr Pete Byrne added "We asked at the previous workshop, around communications being absolutely key in this and there was full party support that we would have signs up at all the forest parks saying 'get your free pass' before the charges come in so when people were going to the forest parks over a period of weeks before it come in, they will see that, avail of the free pass before it came in. Why is that not happened?"
Director Conor Mallon then offered the Councillors a compromise allowing visitors to Delamont and Castlewellan to secure a free pass from Monday coming and delay charges at Slieve Gullion and Kilbroney. "Maybe as a compromise members, the approach may be to delay until after Easter, as the proposal sets out and not commence charging in Slieve Gullion and Kilbroney until that date. However, if anyone has managed to get to Delamont and Castlewellan and secured their pass that they can use their pass from the date that they secure it and that may be before the date that the scheme is implemented in full. So that's a proposal as a compromise but if you arrive to Delamont or Castlewellan and you haven't secured your pass, you would be charged."
He added "If we select the date for example, the 22nd of April to implement the scheme in full we will actively work between now and then to improve communications. We will develop further frequently asked questions based on the concerns that have been raised over the last week, and we will erect signage across all our sites in the next 2-3 weeks to make visitors to all our parks aware of what the plans are, what the implementation date is and how they can access their free pass."
Free passes will be issued to residents from Monday 4 March at the offices within each forest park. Residents must either produce a valid driving licence OR photographic ID and a document that shows your current address.
There are a range of permit options for both residents and non-residents. For the full details and to access a series of Q&As please visit:www.visitmournemountains.co.uk


