As part of their ongoing Civic Heritage Project Newry Maritime Association have restored one of the last two Gaslights left in Newry, recalling days when Newry town had 250 of the lights.
The gaslight and surrounds were restored to former glory with the help of J.R. Lighting, Modern Fireplaces and McCaul Signs. Michael McCaul snr of McCaul Signs was on hand to unveil the lamp. Michael a retired master sign writer and decorator remembers well the gas lamps in operation as well as the last lamp lighter Jimmy Canavan.
Newry with the setting up of the Newry Gaslight Company in September 1822 was one of the first towns in Ireland to have municipal street lighting. The lamps were mounted on cast iron pillars mostly from the nearby Soho foundry and only lit during the winter months. The light at Dublin Bridge was part of a pair, unfortunately no more. The only other lamp surviving is on O'Hagan Bridge on The Mall.
The idea to restore the lamp came from Newry Maritime Association Chairman, Michael O'Hare who recited a poem he wrote about walking home from school, seeing dockers, listening to the steam train, looking at livestock waiting to board the "Dundalk" and watching Peter the lamp lighter trimming the wicks and filling the navigation lights with paraffin. Another world ...


