Newry has an extensive history of libraries, from the Cistercian abbey’s library, which was established before Newry had existed, to the printing industry first introduced in 1750. There were several private libraries in the town however there were several individuals who encouraged literacy for the public. One of these champions was James McGeorge, a town commissioner who advocated for a public library. While it should be noted that McGeorge paved the way for a Free Public Library in Newry via the Town Improvement Act 1854 which would eventually be used by the Town Commissioners to impose part of the rates to develop the library, it did not happen in his lifetime.
In July 1895, the Town Commissioners decided to adopt the Public Libraries (Ireland) Act, 1894. The following October a committee was appointed to carry out the library scheme. The committee members included Henry Barcroft, John C. Nicholson, Alex Wheelan, S. J. Murphy, and Dr. Francis Crossle.
The first meeting of the library committee was held on November 23rd, and Mr. Barcroft was unanimously elected chairman. S.J. Murphy had the role of honorary secretary. In December the Commissioners applied for a loan of £600 for the establishment of the library, which was granted in March 1896.
In September 1896, the library sub-committee composing of Barcroft, Crossle and Murphy had selected and purchased the books for the library. In October Ada M. Armstrong was appointed librarian. Catalogues of books published in 1897 and in 1912 show that the library contained biographies, volumes on the history and geography of Ireland, and copies of classic poetry and literature. Books were donated from private libraries and selected by the sub-committee with help from James Henderson, chairman of the Belfast library committee.
The library was formally declared open by the Third Earl of Kilmorey on 13th of September 1897. During his speech the earl bid a fond adieu to the Newry Savings Bank building and welcomed its new purpose as the Newry Free Library. During the celebration of the opening the earl was gifted with a copy of the library catalogue that had been bound by A. Gray and Sons of Newry. The opening ceremony had an address that was given by Dr Francis Crossle, a local historian, who collated a great deal of information on the social history and genealogy of Newry and its citizens. Dr Crossle’s address highlighted many authors connected to the area and their achievements in literature such as Charlotte Bronte, author of Jane Eyre, who was born in Rathfriland. Thomas Mayne Reid who was born in Co. Down was also mentioned in the address. Also known as Mayne Reid, his work highlighted life in America, focusing on the horrors of slave labour. Dr Crossle also noted Rev. Henry Boyd who lived in Meigh for twenty years who was credited as the first individual who had completely translated Dante’s inferno into English. His edition was published in Dublin in 1785 in two parts.
The library came under the jurisdiction of the Southern Education and Library Board in 1970, and Newry’s current Public Library was opened in January 1987 and it continues to operate and promote the importance of literacy on Hill Street.
The Museum is currently offering free tours of the main exhibition galleries on Wednesdays at 2.00 pm. These must be booked in advance by calling their Education Officer at 0330 137 4422.
Newry and Mourne Museum is open Tuesday – Saturday 10.00 am – 4.30 pm. Please call 0330 137 4422 or email museums@nmandd.org for further information.
Please visit their website at www.visitmournemountains.co.uk


