Former Bessbrook Parish Priest Fr John Bradley passed away on 25 October just a month short of his 95th birthday.
Irrespective of what parish Fr John Bradley served in the Armagh Archdiocese from the fifties into the noughties, the overall approach to his mission never changed. A trained historian and publisher, he naturally sought to study the particular history of his adopted area in his quest to find the ‘big picture,’ the historic background, aspirations and creativity of the parishioners there. From that vantage, he saw himself as servant, that he would use his many gifts and industry totally for the good of all.
Few pastors have had such a handle on their flock where word and deed rhymed so gallantly, that it was often said of him from parishioners wherever he served across the decades, that behind the undoubted intellect and vision was a humble, kind and compassionate man of great warmth, and who had time for everybody.
Just when someone thought they were not remembered, had not been noticed, were not important, he called them by their name, asked about their named children, were they in the same job and so on. He always seemed to surprise people with his uncanny alertness and memory, endlessly conferring a glow of self-worth and belonging to whatever company he encountered.
John Bradley, son of Edward and Sarah Bradley, was born on a small farm in Aughrim, Magherafelt, Co Derry in 1929, and after attending St Mary’s Convent Primary School, 1935-39 and St Joseph’s Primary School went to St Patricks College, Armagh, 1944-1949, and from there to St Patricks Seminary Maynooth where he was ordained priest for the Archdiocese of Armagh on June 17 1956.
He served in the following parishes over the next half century. supply to Cloghogue 1956, curate in Clonfeacle ( Moy, Blackwatertown) 1956-62, Togher 1962-67, Portadown 1967-1983, Carrickmore (Termonmaguirk) 1983-!985, Parish priest of Lower Killeavey, ( Bessbrook) 1985 -2005, and retired to Killymeal St Dungannon 2005 -2024.
It was typical of Fr Bradly’s ambition to discover the historic background to his parish that when appointed to Bessbrook in 1985 he would naturally investigate the history of the Richardsons, how this Quaker family founded and sustained their linen empire, and discover for himself the actual religious, economic and educational realities involved. His article for example asserted that they favoured tenant’s rights and stood up to ‘the hotheads and militants of the day’ who for example were prepared to go to extremes to oppose the 1912 Home Rule Bill. As a rule, the Richardsons were positive toward the catholic population in their religious and educational needs despite tensions and misunderstandings on both sides. They were always loyal to Quaker principles, and in the ‘master plan’ for Bessbrook, ‘rank and file Bessbrook people managed to maintain good neighbourliness and get on with their lives.’
John Bradley served for ten years as President of Cumann Seanchas Ard Mhacha, the celebrated Armagh Diocesan Historical Journal founded by Tomas O Fiaich and others in 1953 and edited for twenty five years by Mons Raymond Murray. His contribution to the Seachas over forty years is enormous, including the following articles: Bernard Murphy of Termonmaguirk 1832-1897 (1988), Canon Charles Quin and the Bessborough Commission (1994), Archbishop McGettigan - The Catholic Bishops of Ireland and the Irish Land Bill 1881 (1998), A Maynooth Song (1999-2000), St Patrick and Armagh: Towns in Missouri (2002), The Irish Barn Church ,(2007-08), The Richardsons of Bessbrook: A Quaker Linen Family (2009), The Donn Byrne Story (2012). The Irish Sweathouses with special reference to Carrickmore (2018-2019), and a special feature on his former parish of Togher, Co Louth marking the 150th anniversary of the founding of the church there, and highlighting the infighting between Archbishop Anthony Blake and the priests of the Archdiocese. His contribution also included a comprehensive obituary in 2006 in memory of his life-long friend and former class mate Mons Denis Faul, PP Carrickmore.
It will be noticed that these articles relate to parishes in which he served. In his younger days in Portadown he was renowned in particular for founding and sustaining the St Marys Youth Club and for formally welcoming the Jesuit Order to the town and getting them their house in Churchill Park.
Among the outstanding projects in his Bessbrook years was his leading role from 2001 in the major extension and development of St Pauls High School, Bessbrook , eventually involving a £17m grant from the Department of Education and creating all the modern educational facilities for 1550 pupils from the vast catchment area. He also realised the consecration of the new Chapel of the Good Shepherd in Cloughreagh and the Centenary Celebrations of the Mercy Convent and School in Maghernahely, both carried out by Cardinal O Fiaich. Following his retirement in 2005 he went to live in Killymeal Road, Dungannon where he continue to write and publish.
Former parishioners from all over travelled to his Requiem Mass in the Church our Lady of the Assumption, Magherafelt Sunday October 27. The chief concelebrant was Fr Eugene O Neill from Camlough and included clergy from across the archdiocese . Interment followed in the Cemetery of St John, Milltown.
Fr John is predeceased by brothers Francis, Eddie and Mary Ellen, and survived and deeply regretted by his sisters Rose, Sr Margaret and Annie, his nieces and nephews and the extended Bradley family, also deeply regretted by Archbishop Eamon Martin, Bishop Michael Router, Cardinal Séan Brady, the priests, deacons and the religious of the Archdiocese of Armagh.


