Newry 1s 2  Queens 1s 4

Newry hosted Queens on Saturday hoping to build on their hard fought win against Mossley last week.

Both sides started brightly but it was Newry who had the best of the opening exchanges, however they could not take advantage of their opportunities. That was until John Taylor put Newry 1 up with a low flick into the bottom right corner from a short corner. Newry held on to their lead until half time.

In the second half Newry really flew out of the traps and created a host of chances early on. The best of which fell to Keith McWilliams and Kyle McCombe.
As the chances continued to go begging Queens grew into the game and pulled one back after a defensive mistake left them with just the keeper to beat. And just 5 minutes later another blunder at the back let Queens make it 2. Newry were now all at sea and it was soon 3. The home side eventually got back into the game again through a John Taylor short corner. However as they pressed for the equaliser Queens counter and got their 4th with 2 minutes remaining.

Team: L. Beck, C. Henning, S. Megaw, J. Greer, R. Irwin, C. McKnight, N. McKnight, N. Davenport, K. McCombe, J. Taylor, K. McWilliams, P. Gonzalez, A. Baird, M. Russell

Newry Men’s Seconds 2 Kilkeel Thirds 2

The Seconds were held at home to close rivals Kilkeel in the early match on Saturday, which began in torrential rain on the Belfast Road.

Newry were sluggish in the opening exchanges and found it hard to link play together against a well-drilled visiting outfit that included a number of players from teams higher up in their club.

However, Newry did create chances up front without being able to find the back of the net and as Kilkeel began to dominate midfield, their pressure paid off with a scrappy goal shortly before the break to put the away side 1-0 in front.

But there was still time for the hosts to get back on terms ahead of the half-time whistle when some clever stick work from Jonny McWilliams on the right-hand side saw him slide an inch-perfect pass through to Alex Irwin, who produced a deft finish to lift the ball over the advancing Kilkeel keeper.

It was a much-improved Newry who took to the pitch for the second period, but once more, they were unable to turn their dominance into goals as they attacked their favoured changing room end.

Indeed, it was the visitors who managed to regain their advantage midway through the half with a second scrappy effort. However, it took Newry just 60 seconds to get back on level when an aerial ball set McWilliams in the clear on the right-hand side and he finished cleverly to make it 2-2.

For the next 10 minutes, the hosts were camped in the Kilkeel half, but chance to go in front for the first time in the match came and went and the away side applied some late pressure in a bid to take maximum points back to the seaside.

However, the home defence stood firm with goalkeeper Ashley Collum pulling off a fine reaction save to push the ball over the bar from point blank range as the sides had to settle3 for a share of the spoils.

Team: A Collum, D O’Brien, G McCullough, G Moffett, G Alderdice, E Graham, D Andrews, A Marks, J McWilliams, S McCafferty, A Irwin, S Graham, M McCullough, J Niblock

Pin It


Please consider supporting


FOLLOW NEWRY.IE require Cookies on some parts of our site to enable full functionality. By using you consent to our use of Cookies. You can use your browser settings to disable cookies on this or any other website.