Lisnagarvey 1XI 8-1 Newry 1XI

Newry travelled to EYHL side Lisnagarvey on Saturday in their latest Kirk Cup match.  From the first whistle, Garvey dominated possession restricting the visitors to only a few break aways in between constant spells of pressure. Newry did managed to hold out in the first ten minutes but when ‘Garvey got one the flood gates open for a 10 minute period when they rattled in another 4. Newry managed to force a couple of Saves from the home keeper but he was to anything they fired at him. Garvey got one more just before the break to leave it 6-0 at half time. 

In the second half, again ‘Garvey pressed forward and got a seventh just two minutes in. Newry did manage to get on the score sheet with Keith McWilliams firing home at the back post but the home side went straight up the other send and got their eighth. This was a harsh lesson to learn from for Newry but they host Antrim in the league on Friday night which they hope will be a slightly better result.

Team: McGivern, C. Henning, J. Greer, S. Megaw, R. Irwin, J. Taylor, N. McKnight, R. Simms, K. McWilliams, K. McCombe, C. McKnight, L. Beck, A. Baird, K. Fletcher, P. Gonzalez

Donaghadee Ladies 1-1 Newry Ladies

On Saturday 10th November Newry Olympic Ladies team travelled to Bangor Grammar school to play old rivals Donaghadee in the Ulster Hockey Senior 3 league.  Dee won pass back and kept possession of the ball to begin with on the left but that didn't last long with midfield Gayle Davidson and Rachel Greer tackling the forwards and winning back the ball.  Newry forwards Alison Benson and Shannon Robinson picked up the ball and played some lovely one twos up into the Dee circle with left wing Caralyn Ferris putting the Dee defense and goalie under some serious pressure.  Dee held Newry from scoring and equally drove back down into the Newry 25 but due to the strong defence in the Newry back line, sweeper Laura Simpson foiled the first Dee shot on goal with goalie Collette Lambe jumping to clip the rebound shot over the Newry post.  Dee quickly took their long corner but couldn't get back into the Newry circle with centre back Elaine McCullough clearing the ball out to right back Lynne Ervine who slipped the ball through the Dee forwards and gave Newry conrrol of the game again. Centre forward Shannon Robinson picked up the ball at the half way line and drove right up into the Dee corner unfortunately being shadowed and eventually fouled by the Dee sweeper but won the first corner for Newry. Dee defence were out fast stopping any chance of scoring and kept Dee safe.  Newry knew a goal was imminent and kept the pressure constantly on the Dee defence.and five minutes before the halftime whistle  Benson square passed the ball to left wing Laverne Inns and just as she reached the Newry circle was tripped up leaving the score nil all at half time.

At the beginning of the second half both  teams battled hard but at the 14 minute point Newry were the first to be awarded a corner. Captain Kathryn Baird injected the ball to forward Inns who slipped it right to Benson and with the goal on from the left, slapped the ball to Baird again who smashed the ball into that Dee backboard putting Newry into the lead.  Dee kept working hard driving down the right hand side but met their match with left back Victoria Lewis stopping the Dee right winger with her flat stick tackle keeping Newry out of trouble.  With ten minutes to go Newry sustained a lot of pressure from the Dee side who were awarded a couple of corners in succession and finally scored. One all at the final whistle with College Lambe as player of the match.

Team: C Lambe (goalie) K Baird (Captain) L Simpson, L Ervine, E McCullough, V Lewis, G Davidson, R Greer, L Inns, C Ferris, S Robinson, A Benson.

Pin It


Please consider supporting


FOLLOW NEWRY.IE require Cookies on some parts of our site to enable full functionality. By using you consent to our use of Cookies. You can use your browser settings to disable cookies on this or any other website.