The 19th century saw the building of many new river bridges in Newry, as well as the replacement and modification of older 18th century ones. The first we come to, is Needham Bridge, which was designed by architects Thomas Duff and Thomas Jackson. Its construction was contracted in April 1831 to mason James Clarke and merchant Samuel Boyd, by the town's Bridge Committee and was completed in the summer of 1831. The Ordnance Survey Memoirs note that it was, "Built by private subscription ... remains as yet comparatively useless." This was because the Armagh side of the town was cut off by the canal, except for a few foot passengers, who could cross by barge for a halfpenny. The bridge was likely named after Francis Needham, the Earl of Kilmorey, who died in 1832. "Needham Bridge" is engraved on the side facing Ballybot Bridge, with the construction year "1831" on the opposite side.
The Stone/Sugar Island Bridge underwent several 19th-century modifications. An 1829 print by artist Thomas Mann Baynes, shows that it consisted of four arches crossing the river with a fifth, smaller arch crossing a mill race. By 1846, only four arches remained, likely due to road-widening efforts in 1838-1839, which covered part of the mill race. By 1849, the bridge had footpaths on both sides, and for a time, a cattle-rubbing post, which was removed in 1878. The bridge also had battlements, though these may have been erected in the 18th century for defence against potential attacks.
Ballybot Bridge, then consisting of five arches, was found to be in poor condition by the 1840s. In 1844, county surveyor Mr. Frazer found that its foundation was set on loose stones, with cracks and a hole, and deemed it unsafe. The bridge was demolished in 1846 and replaced with a temporary wooden structure. It was finally completed in July 1847 at an estimated cost of £700. This granite bridge was similar in appearance to the Needham Bridge and spanned 90 feet with a single arch.
In 1874, town surveyor Mr. Meares presented plans for the O’Hagan Bridge to Newry Town Commissioners. This bridge connected the Mall to Mary Street and Mill Street, previously separated by the mill race, and was named after former Board Chairman, John James O’Hagan. It features a single parapet where the race meets the Newry River, topped by a cast-iron lamp and inscribed "O’Hagan Bridge / Built A.D. 1874" on the street-facing side. A new street over the race appeared around this time, although it wasn’t formally called O’Hagan Street until 1895, the year of O’Hagan's death.
The last major 19th century bridge, the Armagh-Down Bridge, was completed by contractor David Mahood by 1891, coinciding with plans for a new Town Hall. Initially intended as an extension to Bank Parade, Councillor Arthur McCann later proposed a new building over the bridge to symbolise unity between Armagh and Down. The bridge has three shallow segmental arches, with ornate cast-iron lamps at each end. Between the lamps is a canon known as the “Russian trophy”. It was given to Newry as a trophy of the Crimean War by the Principal Military Storekeeper of the Royal Arsenal. It was originally located at the Stone Bridge. A future article will explore the development of the canal bridges in the town.
The Museum is currently offering free tours of the main exhibition galleries on Wednesdays at 2.00 pm. These must be booked in advance by calling our Education Officer at 0330 137 4422.
Newry and Mourne Museum is open Tuesday – Saturday 10.00 am – 4.30 pm. Please call 0330 137 4422 or email museums@nmandd.org for further information.
Visit their website at www.visitmournemountains.co.uk


