Waterford 1's 3-3 Newry 1's (6-5) Waterford win on penalty run ins

Newry made the long trek to Waterford in their 2nd round Irish Hockey Trophy match against the current holders and left bitterly disappointed after suffering defeat on penalty run ins.

Newry started slowly and before they knew it, were down to 10 men within the first three minutes after John Taylor was sin binned, extraordinarily harsh decision. This was an early hint as to what was to come in the game. Waterford won a number of short corners and finally took advantage as they went one up through a drag flick. Newry battled to get back into the game and came very close before the end of the first quarter through a short corner of their own. Waterford struck the post in the second quarter as decisions continued to go their way.

Newry seemed to wake up in the third quarter as they now were starting to control long periods of the game, however it was the Homeside who struck next from a counter attack and a great finish into the top corner. At two down it looked like the game could be over, however Newry fought on and Keith McWilliams got them back in the game from a short corner, and only five minutes later John Taylor got them back on level terms going into the last quarter.  It looked like Newry might pull off a great fight back as they continued to pile on the pressure which seen David England rattle the upright from a reverse stick shot. Again though Waterford hit on the counter to get their third and it looked like that could be it. Keith McWilliams had other ideas though and a great reverse stick finish at the near post made it 3-3 at full time and the game would now be decided by penalty run ins.  

After the first round of five run ins the teams again could not be separated with the score again 3-3, it was now sudden death. Josh Porter was playing out of his skin in goals for Newry and was keeping them in the game saving 4 run ins. However he was on the end of a very strange and furstrating decision. After he made contact with the striker, advantage was played, the Waterford player missed his attempted shot and time ran out. However the umpire awarded a penalty stroke even after advantage was played much to the annoyance of all Newry players. A bitter pill to swallow after Newry did so well to fight their way back into the game against all odds. 

Team: J Porter, D. England, S. Megaw, J. Greer, C. Henning, J. Taylor, C. McKnight, M. Russell, A. Baird, K. McWilliams, K. Fletcher, N. Davenport, C. Large


Pin It


Please consider supporting


FOLLOW NEWRY.IE require Cookies on some parts of our site to enable full functionality. By using you consent to our use of Cookies. You can use your browser settings to disable cookies on this or any other website.